There is a plastic swirl out in the ocean as big as Texas.
This is why plastic bags need to be outlawed; they float and sea turtles eat them thinking they are jellyfish, then they die.
93% of us have BPA in our bodies.
Safe plastics are #1, 2, 4, 5. There are no known dangers.
Avoid plastics #3, 6, 7.
- #3 vinyl in cooking oil bottles, clear food packaging, phthalates enter our bodies through food and drink.
- #6 PS in disposable plates, meat trays.
- #7 miscellaneous plastics found in baby bottles, 3-5 gallon water bottles.
Better alternatives include stainless steel, ceramics, silicone and bamboo.
- Examples of better alternatives:
- Glass (Life Factory baby bottles)
- Wood (Plan Toys)
- Smart plastics (Green Toys Inc.)
- Lap Top Lunches
- Compostable bib made from potato starch
17-25% of all pesticides are used on cotton crops; only 3% of all crops are cotton.
Someone who worked in conventional cotton clothes said he would only let his kids wear the clothes if he washed them 15 times beforehand.
Find clothes without flame retardants.
Parents can register for birthdays, holidays, etc. to minimize other toys.